Monday, July 20, 2009

An Opportunity to Test Some Ideas

Somehow, I've gotten out of the blogging habit. Well, technically, I've gotten out of the habit of hitting the "Publish Post" button, as I have about three or four drafts currently on the go.

I thought I'd write a quick update on a new project I've started to work on. It turns out that my office in downtown Vancouver is smack in the middle of the 2010 Olympics. OK, it's on the edge, actually, but "smack in the middle" sounds more dramatic. The point being that it is unlikely that people will be able to drive to our office during the Olympics, and even getting there by transit will be a challenge.


For me, with all my pontificating about employment in a post-geographic age, and the "decentralization of work", this is fantastic news. I've signed up for the committee to work on solutions for the business, and we're meeting with TransLink this afternoon.

I will, of course, be pitching for running our entire site's 500-person software development operation "in the cloud" for 11 days. I'd rather have at least some remote "shared offices" set up around Metro Vancouver, but I understand that our budget is for this operation is low.

If we can successfully run a large, complex office in the cloud for 11 days, it would certainly raise some eyebrows. Wish me luck!

1 Comments:

Blogger grammilou said...

Good Luck on the office in the clouds!

July 20, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home